Donations to the Government of Ontario Art Collection

Donations to the Government of Ontario Art Collection


Initiated in 1853, and now comprised of over 2,700 original works of art, the Government of Ontario Art Collection is administered by the Archives of Ontario. Eclectic and widespread, these pieces can be found displayed in government buildings across the province. Donors like the ones listed here have contributed significantly to the growth of the collection over the years.

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z



Robert Amirault, O.S.A.

A self-taught artist originally from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Bob Amirault is fascinated by the effects of light on his chosen subjects, and enjoys the challenge of painting en plein air. The Red Cabin began as a small oil study of a quiet cottage down a country road in the Haliburton area of Ontario. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Amoss Estate

Donated by the Amoss Estate to The Sir James Whitney School, Belleville in 1948.

Debra Archibald, O.S.A.

Debra Archibald is a talented artist and successful entrepreneur.  Bloor Viaduct with Lamp Light is a study for a series of works on the Bloor Viaduct, a well-known Toronto landmark; and demonstrates the artist`s interest in the enduring quality of architectural structures on the urban landscape through the passage of time. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Armenian Community Centre, Toronto

Gift to the Hon. Thomas Wells, Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, c. 1980

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Armen-Ontario Armenian General Benevolent Union Inc.

Presented to the Hon. David Peterson, Premier of Ontario, by the Armen-Ontario Armenian General Benevolent Union Inc., on the occasion of the Proclamation of Armenian Memorial Day, April 24, 1986

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Atkinson Estate

Donated by the Atkinson estate to the Sir James Whitney School, Belleville in 1948.

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Taft Aziz

Eight artworks by Philip Aziz, a well known Canadian master artist, were generously donated by Taft Aziz through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1987.

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Archibald George Barnes

Artist Archibald George Barnes (1887-1972) generously donated one of his paintings, Ontario Sportsman, through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

B


Janet Basmadjian

A resident of Toronto and a graduate of the Ontario College of Art, Janet Basmadjian works mainly in watercolours, graphite and pastels. The Pigeon Project is one work from a series dealing with issues of urban life and alienation.

Anthony Batten

Tony Batten’s work is often based on architectural forms with emphasis on the strong interplay of light and shade.  Renowned for his accomplished use of the watercolour medium, he has captured the morning rush hour outside Odd Fellows Hall, an often overlooked Toronto landmark at Yonge and College streets.

Evelyn Bayefsky

Evelyn Bayefsky donated six of her late husband Aba Bayefsky`s (1923-2001) works in 2004.  Five of these paintings reflect the artist`s life-long fascination with Toronto's Kensington Market. The sixth relates to his interest in Indian legends and compliments his large scale mural which was installed, in 1968, in the Ontario Government's office complex, the Macdonald Block at Bay and Wellesley Streets.

Leon Belsky, O.S.A.

Leon Belsky is well known for his traditional still lifes, but his style has become much more contemporary since his move from Russia to Canada.  Belsky started his “City Portraits” series in the mid 1990s with a goal to find new and contemporary approaches to depicting the city of Toronto. He donated a work in both 2005 and 2007 as part of a larger donation made by OSA members.

Mr. & Mrs. Stewart G. Bennett

Mr. & Mrs. Stewart G. Bennett generously donated an antique French clock in 1983 through the Ontario Heritage Foundation.

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Cicely Mary Blackstock

Miss Cicely M. Blackstock generously donated Oinatchouan Falls by Lucius O’Brien, who is well known for his Ontario and Quebec landcapes, through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1985.

Lillian Michiko Blakey, O.S.A.

Lillian Michiko Blakey’s passion for art began when she was a teenager.  Morning Prayer is a comment on how the modern world has seemingly replaced spiritual rituals with mundane ones, and compares the morning commute with the morning prayer.  On O.S.A. Lake is a tribute to the members of the OSA who sought to preserve Ontario forest lands and created Killarney Provincial Park in 1964. The artist gifted these works in 2005 and 2007 as part of larger donations made by O.S.A. members.

Chief Darryl Boissoneau

Donated to Roberta Bondar Place, Sault Ste. Marie in 1992.

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description



Mrs. Auguste A. Bolt

Mrs. Auguste A. Bolte generously donated this portrait of Sir Adam Beck in 1993 through the Ontario Heritage Foundation.

Wendy Boyd, O.S.A.

Wendy Boyd’s focus is drawing, almost exclusively in pastels. Winter Meditation was completed during a weekly life drawing class at Toronto's Arts and Letters Club. Arriving dressed for the weather, the model presented such an interesting subject that the class drew him fully clothed! This work was one of eighteen donated by O.S.A. members in 2005.

Carmel Brennan, O.S.A.

Sunderland, Ontario based artist, Carmel Brennan, has been taking photographs for almost 40 years. She donated two of her photographs in 2007 as part of a larger donation made by members of the Ontario Society of Artists.











James W. Brennan

Thumbnail of painting Afternoon Light
Click to see a larger image


Mr. James W. Brennan generously donated two paintings by Ontario artist and teacher, George Agnew Reid, through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1987.

Mrs. George Brown

Thumbnail of painting Hon. George Brown [Leader, Coalition Government of 1864-65]
Click to see a larger image


This portrait of the Hon. George Brown was donated to the Ontario government by his widow in 1889. Painted by John Colin Forbes (1846-1925), Brown was leader of the Coalitian Government 1864-67, one of the Fathers of Confederation in 1867, and founder of the Toronto Globe in 1844.

Marilyn Burnett

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

John Yudelman is best known for the large conceptual works about the corporate world he completed in the 1980s. Marilyn Burnett generously donated Yudelman’s painting Inside His Office in 2008.

W. D. Burns

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Presented by D.W Burns to the Hamilton Teachers college

[Return to top of page]      

Gil Caldwell, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Winter Fun
Click to see a larger image


Gil Caldwell’s paintings represent a compilation of things he sees in everyday life.  Winter Fun is a continuation of his interest in depicting the Ontario landscape, specifically his fascination with the old houses of Toronto. This work was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

Mr. E. Lee Cameron

Thumbnail of painting William Henry Lee [Clerk, Exec Council; Clerk, Queen`s Privy Council 1853-72]
Click to see a larger image


Mr. E. Lee Cameron generously donated a portrait of his great-grandfather William Henry Lee, painted by John Colin Forbes.  William Lee was the first Clerk of the Privy Council in 1867.

D. Campbell

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Avid collector David Campbell generously donated six pieces of furniture and a pair of silver candelabras, made c. 1900 by the Gorham Co. for Birks & Co., through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1989 and 1990.

Canadian Pacific Railway

Thumbnail of painting A Glengarry Settler
Click to see a larger image


This Cyrus C. Cuneo painting of a Scottish settler ploughing his field was presented to Dr. Alexander Fraser, the first Archivist of Ontario, by Mr. Edward Beatty, the fourth president of the Canadian Pacific Railway, in the late 1920s. The presentation took place at Banff, Alberta during the annual Highland Gathering sponsored by the railway from 1927-1930.

John B. Carrel

Thumbnail of painting Evolution of Indian Female
Click to see a larger image


John B. Carrel, Q.C. generously donated three paintings by Norval Morrisseau in 1985 through the Ontario Heritage Foundation.

Marjorie L. Child

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Artist Marjorie L. Child generously donated her oil painting titled Companions, an image of a man playing his guitar along the water’s edge, through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

Rita Choy-Ng, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Don River at Night #2
Click to see a larger image


Rita Choy-Ng’s painting is of the Don River which the artist can see very clearly from her home.  She strives to portray natural strength and simplicity in this piece through the use of a limited colour scheme of basic black and white. This work was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Susan Clark, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Snowscene
Click to see a larger image


Although Susan Clark paints in a realistic style, there is a surreal quality to her work as portrayed in Snowscene, an unexpectedly deserted view of suburban Toronto. This work was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

Michael and Menka Close

Thumbnail of painting (untitled) Faces Series 1
Click to see a larger image


The twelve works in this donation, made in 2004, reveal artist Michael Close’s interest in design and pattern.  Based on a decorative approach to the subject of the face, calligraphic lines of bright colour and blocks of paint have been used to create a bold and individualistic series of paintings.

Peter W. F. Cochrane

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

This mezzotint of the House of Lords in 1863 was donated through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1983 by Peter W. F. Cochrane. His ancestor, Lord Cochrane, 10th Earl of Dundonald, takes a prominent position in the left foreground of the print.

Ruth E. Cond (and Judy Taylor)

Thumbnail of painting Portrait of Jonas Jones
Frederick W. Lock
Click to see a larger image


Jonas Jones (1791-1848) was a lawyer, politician and judge in Upper Canada.  His portrait, painted by Frederick W. Lock in 1858, had been passed down through many generations and was generously donated by his descendants in 2006. 

Nancy Converse, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Our Cathedral
Click to see a larger image


Nancy Converse is a colourist painter, inspired by the beauty of nature in all its forms.  In Our Cathedral, Converse has captured the Scarborough Bluffs from an unusual top-down vantage point above Lake Ontario. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Mary Conway

Thumbnail of painting Mary Alice Flesher Sproule
Click to see a larger image


Mary Conway generously donated a portrait of Mary Alice Flesher Sproule by John Colin Forbes in 1985 through the Ontario Heritage Foundation.

Mrs. John Counsel

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Mrs. John Counsel generously donated a Chinese porcelain bowl hrough the Ontario Heritage Foundation, in 1984, for the Lieutenant Governor’s Suite at Queen's Park.

Krystyna Cseh-Woodland, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Inspired by Muskoka, Imaginary Landscape #1826
Click to see a larger image


Polish born teacher and artist Krystyna Cseh-Woodland emigrated to Canada in 1993. In Toronto she studied drawing, painting and sculpture at Central Technical School and then attended the Ontario College of Art and Design, graduating in 2006 with a B.A. in fine art. She donated this painting in 2007 as one of a gift of thirty-nine works made by members of the Ontario Society of Artists.

[Return to top of page]      

Kathryn Daly

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Kathryn Daly donated this painting to Sir James Whitney School, Belleville, in 1978.

Professor and Mrs. Robertson Davies

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Professor Robertson Davies and his wife Brenda generously donated four antique furnishings in 1982, including a c. 1700 Louis XIV period French Canadian chair, and a laquered chinoiserie cabinet.

Laura Van Vechten Davis

Thumbnail of painting Elizabeth
Click to see a larger image


Artist Laura Van Vechten Davis generously donated a portrait titled Elizabeth through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

Nancy De Boni, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Ancient Elements
Click to see a larger image



Nancy De Boni is interested in the decomposition processes of man-made objects, especially capturing changes in colour.  Ancient Elements is based on a neglected property located across the street from De Boni’s residence, and records the progression of the front porch as it has decayed and collapsed. This work was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

Lois Dierlam, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Killarney Provincial Park, A.Y. Jackson Lake
Click to see a larger image


Lois Dierlam, a Toronto born artist, feels that her paintings are “visual impressions of the excitement that [she] feel[s] for the subject.”  Her focus and purpose in her art is to share her joy in observing the moment, and put her viewers in touch with these joyful emotions. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Malvern Dollack

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Artist Malvern Dollack generously donated a painting through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963. The work depicts a bridge in Toronto’s Dentonia Park, once a summer home of the Massey family, and near the now busy intersection of Danforth and Main streets.

Langley Thomas Donges

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Artist Langley Thomas Donges (1901-1992) generously donated his painting through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963. Early Snow, Erindale, depicts a milling community, established in the 1820s, which is now part of the city of Mississauga.

Patricia Dumas-Hudecki, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Iron Tapestry
Click to see a larger image


Hamilton, Ontario born Patricia Dumas-Hudecki graduated from the Ontario College of Art in 1972. While raising her family of four, she juggled a freelance career in graphic design and illustration while pursuing her own artistic practice.

Iron Tapestry was donated in 2007 as part of a larger donation of 39 works made by members of the Ontario Society of Artists. It reflects her interest in taking somewhat mundane, everyday objects and turning them into striking and individualistic works of art.

Eitan Dvir

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Eitan Dvir, a talented artist in Israel and Canada, generously donated his portrait of former Ontario Premier William G. Davis in 1984.

[Return to top of page]      

Douglas Ferguson Elliot

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Artist Douglas F. Elliott generously donated his painting of Bronte, a small fishing village between Oakville and Burlington, through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

Jean Eng, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting X's and O's
Click to see a larger image


Jean Eng’s X's and O's is from her series "Grey Scales" which consists of acrylic paintings done primarily in varying shades of grey, interrupted by key areas of isolated colour.  The piece is loosely based on evolution with transformations, mutations and processes that explore and ultimately mirror our link to nature. This work was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

Essex County Law Association

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

The Essex County Law Association generously donated a bronze bust of Judge Bruce J.S. Macdonald, the last judge to hear court cases in Windsor’s Mackenzie Hall, a historic building now used for business functions and arts presentations.

[Return to top of page]      

Pat Fairhead, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Seven Sisters #1
Click to see a larger image


Born in Yorkshire, England, artist and teacher Pat Fairhead imigrated to Canada with her family when she was 10 years old. She has studied art at the Ontario College of Art and been a member of the Ontario Society of Artists since 1986.

This painting reflects her love of the outdoors and in particular the scenery in the Muskoka region north of Toronto. It was one of thirty-nine works donated by members of the O.S.A. in 2007.

Feorge Sarras Fanais

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Artist George Sarras Fanais generously donated a portrait titled Ontario Hunter through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

Frances Ferdinands

Thumbnail of painting Economic Rationality
Click to see a larger image


Like much of her work, Frances Ferdinands’ Economic Rationality is part of a series, and reflects the changes taking place in the artist’s downtown Toronto residential neighbourhood.

Judy Finch, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Early Morning at Knothole
Click to see a larger image


Also known for her portraits, Judy Finch has studied and painted using a variety of media and techniques.  Early Morning at Knothole was painted on an annual trip to fellow artist Doris McCarthy’s cottage on Georgian Bay. This painting was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

A. G. Fleming

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Artist A.G. Fleming generously donated his painting Toronto from the Island through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

Jean Mary Edgell Forbes

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Artist Jean Mary Edgell Forbes, wife of artist Kenneth Forbes and mother of artist June Forbes McCormack, generously donated a watercolour painting of Willowdale in Toronto through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

Kenneth Keith Forbes

Thumbnail of painting Hon. Leslie Miscampbell Frost, PC, CC, QC, LL.D., DCL [Premier of Ontario, 1949-61]
Click to see a larger image


Portrait artist Kenneth K. Forbes (1892-1980) completed many important commissions throughout his career including those for several lieutenant governors and premiers of Ontario. He generously donated this portrait through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963. 

Cleworth W. Foster

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Mr. Cleworth W. Foster, an avid art collector, generously donated a pastel portrait of Ellen Louks Fairclough, the first female member of the Canadian Cabinet, drawn by artist Nickola de Grandmaison.

[Return to top of page]      

Family of Audrey Garwood

Thumbnail of painting Autumn Highlands [Haliburton]
Click to see a larger image


Artist Audrey Garwood (1927-2004) was an accomplished painter and printmaker with a calligraphic style and bold use of colour.  Her family members generously donated seven of her paintings in 2006. 

Valerie Jane Geard, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Disappearing Landscape
Click to see a larger image


Valerie Jane Geard captures the past and present in Disappearing Landscape.  As a printmaker and collage artist, Geard reflects a sensitivity towards the paper used in her work, and is inspired by her fondness for nature and its range of pattern variations caused by light. This lithograph was one of thirty-nine works donated by O.S.A. members in 2007.

Kristy Gordon, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Harmony
Click to see a larger image


Although originally trained in animation, Kristy Gordon decided to become a full-time professional painter in 2003. Utilizing her love of nature and the outdoors, she created paintings that are distinctive in their colouration and keenly observered detail.

Harmony depicts the greenbelt area around Ottawa and was painted on the Stoney Swamp Path in Nepean. It was one of thirty-nine works donated by members of the Ontario Society of Artists in 2007.

Norma Green

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Artist Norma Green generously donated her landscape painting of the Haliburton area of Ontario through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

Philip Green

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Artist Philip Green generously donated his landscape painting of the Haliburton area of Ontario through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

Mrs. Roy Greenaway

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Roy Greenaway (1891-1972), former Toronto reporter and member of the press gallery at Queen's Park also painted many landscapes throughout Canada, the United States and Europe, and was a founding member of the Ontario Institute of Painters in the 1950s.  His wife generously donated seventeen of his paintings in 1975.

Roy Greenaway

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Roy Greenaway (1891-1972), former Toronto reporter and member of the press gallery at Queen's Park also painted many landscapes throughout Canada, the United States and Europe, and was a founding member of the Ontario Institute of Painters in the 1950s. He generously donated three of his own paintings in 1963..

Christopher Griffin, O.S.A.

Christopher Griffin is known for his large scale paintings which are inspired by prehistoric and children’s art.  His style allows for accidental and spontaneous effects, illustrating a different view of famous Ontario landmarks such as the Rideau Canal. This painting was one of thirty-nine works donated by O.S.A. members in 2007.

[Return to top of page]      

Frederick Stanley Haines

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Artist Frederick Stanley Haines (1879-1960), was a former curator of The Art Gallery of Toronto. This painting was generously donated by the artist through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

Hamilton Teachers College

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Mary Jane Hanna

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Mary Jane Hanna generously donated this untitled floral still life, by K.M. Hart, through her estate in 1945.

Sister Anitra Hansen

Thumbnail of painting Bear
Click to see a larger image


Thor Hansen (1903-1974) was best known for textile design, but his work also included ceramics, wood and linoleum carvings, and paintings.  His daughter, Sister Anitra Hansen, generously donated seven of her father’s works in 2006, including five ceramic tiles painted with aboriginal animal motifs.

Diana Harding Tucker, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Father and Son
Click to see a larger image


Diana Harding Tucker uses coloured pencils, watercolours, oils or chalk pastels on her black and white photography. Father and Son depicts two Mennonite farmers in typical dress, working on their land. This work was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Janet Hendershot, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Purple Evening
Click to see a larger image


Janet Hendershot uses a highly charged palette to express the “super-sense” experiences she feels towards her subjects.  Her focus is mainly painting, specifically abstract and uniquely styled landscapes. She donated a work in both 2005 and 2007 as part of a larger donation made by OSA members.

Henry N. R. Jackman Foundation

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Henry (Hal) N. R. Jackman was the 25th Lieutenant Governor of Ontario from 1991 to 1997, and his foundation has been supporting the arts of Toronto since 1990.  In 1995 the Hal Jackman Foundation generously donated two antique arm chairs through the Ontario Heritage Foundation.

George William Henry

Thumbnail of painting Hon. George Stewart Henry, BA, LL D [Premier of Ontario 1930-34]
Click to see a larger image


George William Henry, son of former Premier of Ontario George Stewart Henry, generously donated a portrait of his father by Archibald G. Barnes through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1985.

Mr. & Mrs. T. Patrick Henry

Thumbnail of painting Anna Ketha Pickett Henry [Mrs. George S. Henry]
Click to see a larger image


Mr. and Mrs. T. Patrick Henry generously donated two portraits of former Premier of Ontario George Stewart Henry and his wife Anna Pickett Henry, through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1985.

Historical Branch of Dept of Public Records and  Archives

Thumbnail of painting Verschoyle Blake
Click to see a larger image


This portrait was commissioned by the Historical Branch of the Department of Public Records and  Archives in 1971 and donated to the collection in 1989. Verschoyle Blake (1899-1971) for many years worked in the Conservation Branch of the former Department of Planning and Development, where he did historical research and wrote most of the department's conservation reports. He was also a founding member of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario, and was on advisory committees for both Upper Canada Village and Black Creek Pioneer Village.

Mr. G. W. P. Hodgins

Thumbnail of painting Frances Rachel Doyle [Mrs. John George Hodgins]
Click to see a larger image


In 1944 Mr. G. W. P. Hodgins generously donated two portraits of his grandparents, John George Hodgins and Frances R. Doyle, painted by artist Theophile Hamel in 1851. John George Hodgins was the Deputy Minister of Education in Ontario from 1876 to 1889.

Elizabeth Bradford Holbrook

Thumbnail of sculpture Hon. Ellen Louks Fairclough, PC, OC, FCA, LL D, UE [Secty of State, Min Cit & Immig, Postmaster Gen. 1958-63]
Click to see a larger image


Elizabeth Holbrook (1913-2009) was a talented portrait sculptor.  In 1982 she generously donated a bust of Ellen Fairclough through the Ontario Heritage Foundation. Ellen Fairclough was Canada's first female Cabinet minister.

Hospital For Sick Children, Board of Trustees

Thumbnail of sculpture The Endless Bench 1984 [Sesquicentennial Edition]
Click to see a larger image


On the occasion of Ontario’s Bicentennial, the Board of Trustees and Staff of the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, presented the province with this sculpture by Lea Vivot, a replica of her larger version which is installed outside the hospital.

House of Seagram

Thumbnail of painting London Ontario
Click to see a larger image


Gift of the House of Seagram for Ontario House, London, England, c.1977.

[Return to top of page]      

Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire

Thumbnail of painting Not Unto Death, But Life Everlasting
Click to see a larger image


The IODE (Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire) is a women’s charitable organization which focuses on community affairs in over 400 branches across the country.  The John G. Howard chapter in Toronto generously donated this large oil on canvas by Arthur M. Hazard in 1921.

Samwillie Iqaluq

Thumbnail of sculpture Loon
Click to see a larger image


Donated by the artist to Ontario's Minister of Labour in 1991.

[Return to top of page]      

Evan Weekes MacDonald

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Guelph artist Evan Weekes MacDonald (1905-1972) generously donated his painting of the Frood-Stobie nickel mine in Sudbury, Ontario through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

Manly Edward MacDonald

Thumbnail of painting Newburgh on the Napanee River, Ontario
Click to see a larger image


In 1963 Manly E. MacDonald (1889-1971), landscape and portrait artist of the early-mid 20th century, generously donated an oil landscape through the Ontario Institute of Painters, of which he was also a founding member.

James MacDougall, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Autumn, Caledon, Ontario
Click to see a larger image


Autumn, Caledon, Ontario was painted on site by the artist in order to capture his immediate experience of nature. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Agnes MacGillivray

Thumbnail of painting Lake Scene with Rock Formation
Click to see a larger image


Agnes MacGillivray generously donated two watercolour landscapes by artists S.R.G. Penson and Thomas Harrison Wilkinson in 1977 through the Ontario Heritage Foundation.

Allan Harding Mackay

Thumbnail of painting Highwy 401 [From Ontario Highways in the Rain series]
Click to see a larger image


Alan Harding Mackay is best known for his expeditions as a war artist to Somalia and Afghanistan, as well as his commissioned Veterans’ Memorial at Queen’s Park in Toronto.  He generously donated a mixed media artwork depicting a rainy Highway 401 in 2007.

Sharon MacKinnon, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting The Bay Rocks
Click to see a larger image


In The Bay Rocks, Sharon MacKinnon has captured the essence of granite in the Mink and McCoy island area of Georgian Bay.  Through her encaustic medium, she has tried to reproduce the image of the striation lines in the rock, exposed by glacier erosion. This painting was one of thirty-nine works donated by O.S.A. members in 2007. 

Thomas Mathews

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Brampton artist Thomas Mathews generously donated one of his landscape paintings of a maple tree through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

Friends of Mathison

Thumbnail of painting Robert Mathison, MA [Superintendant and Principal, Ontario School for Deaf, 1879-1906]
Click to see a larger image


Donated to the Sir James Whitney School, Belleville, in 1924.

Edward McCormack

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Artist Edward McCormack donated this landscape of the Credit River in southern Ontario through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

Frances Theodora McHenry

Thumbnail of painting Untitled [early landscape
Click to see a larger image


Frances Theodora McHenry was a former principal of the Ontario College of Art.  Upon her death in 1984, she left this George Agnew Reid painting to the Ontario Heritage Foundation, from which it was then donated to the Government of Ontario Art Collection.

John Wilson (Jack) McLaren

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

In 1981, artist John (Jack) Wilson McLaren (1896-1988) generously donated his painting Haliburton, Ontario which depicts a country road in autumn.

Donald Ivan McLeod

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Artist Donald Ivan McLeod (1886-1967) generously donated one of his paintings, a beautiful wooded landscape, through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

J. R. McMurrich

Thumbnail of painting Hon. John McMurrich [MLC Canada; first MPP York North; 1862-1871]
Click to see a larger image


J.R. McMurrich generously donated this portrait by John Colin Forbes of his great-grandfather John McMurrich (1804-1883), the first MPP of York North, through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1977.

John S. Millar

Thumbnail of painting Hon. Lincoln M. Alexander, PC, CC, KStJ, O Ont, QC, BA, LL B, LL D DSLitt [Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, 1985-91]
Click to see a larger image


John S. Millar, Q.C. generously donated a bronze bust of Lincoln M. Alexander, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario from 1985 to 1991, through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1991.

Michael Mills, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Containing Water
Click to see a larger image


Michael Mills’ work explores issues relating primarily to the human body.  Prior to its donation to the collection, Containing Water was on display in the Lieutenant Governor’s Suite at Queen’s Park as part of an exhibition by OSA members. This painting was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

E. Mirvish

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

In 1984, Mr. Ed Mirvish, well known for his involvement in Toronto theatre, generously donated a Royal Coat of Arms for display in the Lieutenant Governor’s Suite.

Emilie Mond of Mond International Nickel Co.

Thumbnail of scultpure Nef
Click to see a larger image


This piece was commissioned to celebrate the Mond company’s Silver Jubilee in1925. It was donated to the Ontario Department of Mines in 1927.

J. H. Moore

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

In 1985 J. H. Moore generously donated a French Canadian armchair through the Ontario Heritage Foundation.

Edmund Montague Morris

Thumbnail of painting Indians Descending the Pic River
Click to see a larger image


Two paintings were generously bequethed by Artist Edmund Montague Morris (1871-1913) upon his death. Morris was known for his pastel portraits of native leaders, but he was also a skilled landscape painter.

Stanley Gordon Moyer

Thumbnail of painting  Jack Miner [Jack Miner Bird Foundation, Kingsville, Ontario, 1932]
Click to see a larger image


Artist Stanley Gordon Moyer (1887-1968) generously donated his portrait of Jack Miner through the Ontario Institute of painters in 1963. Miner was an avid conservationist and in 1904 created the world famous bird sanctuary for migrating geese and ducks at Kingsville, Ontario.

[Return to top of page]      

Edward Nagy, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Shores of Southampton
Click to see a larger image


Edward A. Nagy captures one of Central Ontario’s unexpected landscapes and hidden sanctuaries in Shores of Southampton.  The area of Chantry Island and the former pier of Southampton is a picturesque, almost tropical setting where wind and water currents are slowed and sand dunes appear. This painting was one of thirty-nine works donated by O.S.A. members in 2007. 

Jean D. Newman-Urquhart

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Artist Jean D. Newman-Urquhart generously donated her landscape painting of the Actinolite area in Eastern Ontario through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

Muriel Elizabeth Newton-White

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Artist Muriel Elizabeth Newton-White is an accomplished landscape painter from Northern Ontario.  She generously donated an oil painting of Lake Timiskaming through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

Audra Noble, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Chances I Thumbnail of painting Chances I Thumbnail of painting Chances I
Click to see larger images

Audra Noble’s subject in the triptych piece Chances I is a wild water-iris found at Stoney Lake in Ontario.  In her photograph Twilight the subject is herself, but it is not a self-portrait.  All of Noble’s artwork expresses the intense passions she experiences in life and are each very meaningful. These photographs were two of thirty-nine works donated by OSA members in 2007. 

Victor North

Thumbnail of painting Three Cats on Dog Lake
Click to see a larger image


Young artist Victor North is inspired by comic books and contemporary art.  His painting Three Cats on Dog Lake is a modern take on an old story surrounding Dog Lake near Kingston, Ontario.

Tibor Nyilasi

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Artist Tibor Nyilasi is known for his unique mosaics, watercolours and drawings.  His mural The Melody is in seven panels and includes motifs of music, theatre, sculpture, agriculture and ancient art.

[Return to top of page]      

Old George Street School

Thumbnail of painting Richard Lewis [Principal of the Old George Street School, 1856-76]
Click to see a larger image


Pupils of the Old George Street School between the years of 1856 and 1875 generously donated a portrait of Richard Lewis, the school’s Principal during those years.

Ontario Chamber of Commerce

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

The Ontario Chamber of Commerce donated two items for the Lieutenant Governor’s Suite at Queen's Park, including an antique silver candle snuffer, in 1984 through the Ontario Heritage Foundation.

Ontario Wood Carvers Association

Thumbnail of carving Carver's Quilt
Click to see a larger image


The Ontario Wood Carvers Association (OWCA), founded in 1979, supports wood carving as a hobby and a profession across Ontario and Canada.  The OWCA donated an Ontario Coat of Arms in 1984, and a montage piece in 1992 titled Carvers’ Quilt which is on display in the Legislature at Queen’s Park.

Rachel Ovadia

Rachel Ovadia image
Click to see a larger image

Based in North York, Ontario, abstract and conceptual artist Rachel Ovadia has donated eleven works to the collection.

[Return to top of page]      

Frank Shirley Panabaker

Thumbnail of painting Georgian Bay
Click to see a larger image


Frank S. Panabaker, a successful Ontario artist whose work was once bought by the mother of Franklin D. Roosevelt for display in the White House, generously donated a painting of Georgian Bay through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

Mary Pavey, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Roadside Rocks
Click to see a larger image


Mary Pavey is known for her still lifes and is now exploring landscape painting.  Roadside Rocks was painted as a result of a camping trip to Algonquin Park where exposed blue-grey rocks were highlighted by brightly coloured flora. This work was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Sonia Tarantour Pearl, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Fossil - Purple
Click to see a larger image


Sonia Tarantour Pearl’s interpretation of landscape focuses on experimentation, process, and transition.  Her painting Fossil – Purple depicts a scene from Blakeny’s Rapids between Almonte and Pakenham in Ontario. This work was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

Margaret Peter, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Mystical Images
Click to see a larger image


Guelph artist Margaret Peter’s inspiration comes from many natural objects such as feathers, shells and fossils.  Mystical Images is a collection of pictographs from Peterborough Provincial Park placed in a spiral design, representing nature’s spiral of life, and inspired by the stories of Native Canadians. This work was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Dr. John Peterson

Thumbnail of painting Arrival of La Salle at the Mouth of the Humber River 1681
Click to see a larger image


Dr. John Peterson generously donated eight paintings by Ontario artist and teacher George Agnew Reid, through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1983.

Giuseppe Pivetta, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting en plein air
Click to see a larger image


Giuseppe Pivetta’s work mainly consists of scenes of Toronto and its environs, and is painted en plein air.  He captures the constantly evolving essence of the city, especially its growing urban communities. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Germinio Pio Politi, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Untitled
Click to see a larger image


Germinio Pio Politi’s style is influenced by Italy’s Arte Povera movement which encourages the use of everyday materials.  His range of work includes landscape, abstract and figure pieces in many different media. This work was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Dr. and Mrs. Edward Pomer

Thumbnail of painting Crimson Cavern
Click to see a larger image


Dr. and Mrs. Edward Pomer generously donated a painting by James W, MacDonald, a modernist artist, through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1983.

Helena Pravda, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Working Together
Click to see a larger image


Helena Pravda’s work is inspired by her knowledge of psychology, and she strives to represent the experiences and feelings of an individual at a unique moment in their life.  Working Together captures the moment when three generations of men (a grandfather, father and son) come together after years of disconnection. This work was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Premier's Office

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

These two works were presented to the Premier of Ontario during his trade mission to India and Pakistan in January of 2007, and subsequently donated to the collection by the Premier’s office.

Captain Zdzislaw Przygoda, D.Sc., P. Eng.

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

Dr. Zdzislaw Przygoda(1913-1996) established his own engineering consulting firm in Toronto in 1954.  He generously donated over 500 items to the Archives in 1983, including architectural drawings, photographs, files and this portrait of Sir Casimir Stanislaus Gzowski, former Administrator of the Province of Ontario from 1896-1897.

Ina Puchala, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Surrogate Sisterhood (Black Dog Series)
Click to see a larger image


Ina Puchala studied drawing and painting at the Ontario College of Art. She creates abstract works by layering and scraping the paint over the surface of the mylar or wood panel to build tension and a personal narrative. Surrogate Sisterhood is one of the paintings from the artist's Black Dog series completed in 2006. It was one of thirty-nine works donated by O.S.A. members in 2007.

[Return to top of page]      

C. Bev Rodin, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Forest Light Series: Autumn Rustling Leaves
Click to see a larger image


Watercolour and acrylic painter Bev Rodin’s work reflects her personal interests and experiences.  Through her paintings Rodin hopes to communicate many meanings; in her “Forest Light” series patience, majesty, and growth are represented. She donated works in both 2005 and 2007 as part of larger donations made by O.S.A. members.

[Return to top of page]      

John Schweitzer, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of collage The Author in the Arcade
Click to see a larger image


John A. Schweitzer is known for his unique collages. The Author in the Arcade is one of 35 in Schweitzer’s “Benjamin’s Alphabet” series, which was inspired by the writing of German philosopher Walter Benjamin. This work was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Gerald Leslie Sevier, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Teasdale Farm
Click to see a larger image


Light and shadow are most interesting to Gerry Sevier when he paints landscapes, seascapes, architecture, and still lifes, in which rural Ontario is a major theme.  In Teasdale Farm Sevier wanted to convey peaceful and nostalgic feelings created by majestic trees and a beautiful summer sky. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Mary Seymour, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Late Summer Garden
Click to see a larger image


Normally a figurative painter, Mary Seymour went en plein air and turned her attention to a section of her rural garden.  Seymour painted the scene as she saw it, including seed pods of the Rudbeckia flowers without petals, falling pine needles, and leaves that had been eaten by insects or touched by the colour change of fall. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Bruce Smith

Thumbnail of painting 50 Scollard Street [Toronto]
Click to see a larger image


Bruce Smith was a generous donor to the Government of Ontario Art Collection and we sadly acknowledge his death in December of 2005.  In 2002 and 2005 Smith donated a total of twelve of his own paintings and one of Albert Chiarandini’s, of whom he was once a pupil.

Andrew Cheddie Sookrah, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting The Road to Keane
Click to see a larger image


The Road to Keane was painted at the picturesque Rice Lake which Andrew Cheddie Sookrah visited with some fellow members of the Arts and Letters Club of Toronto. To past inhabitants, Rice Lake had a very special spiritual meaning, and Sookrah felt “touched by the spirits still there” as he was guided in creating this painting. This work was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Jane Stanley

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

William St. Thomas Smith (1862-1947) was a talented watercolourist, known for his landscapes and marine scenes.  His painting The Brook was generously donated by Jane Stanley in 2008.

Janice Mason Steeves, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Red Gerberas: 6
Click to see a larger image


Artworks by Janice Mason Steeves record her search for aspects of the sacred in our existence, which are found in the recurring patterns of growth and ritual. Red Gerberas: 6 is part of a series dealing with the exploration of flowers. This work was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

Alan Stein, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Opening Night, Parry Sound
Click to see a larger image


Artist Alan Stein creates imaginative pieces like Opening Night, Parry Sound, which was drawn to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Festival of the Sound, an annual chamber music festival in Parry Sound.  His imagined landscapes, mostly images of night skies, often have spectacular features added, such as constellations, comets and the northern lights. This work was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007. 

[Return to top of page]      

Ernestine Tahedl, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Pond - Jeux d`eau V
Click to see a larger image


Artist Ernestine Tahedl is best known for her work with stained glass and painting.  Inspiration for her landscapes comes from travelling, after which, when back home in her studio, she intuitively transfers her memories to canvas. This painting was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

Rafael Tchetyshov, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting At the Lake Simcoe
Click to see a larger image


Realist painter Rafael Tchetyshov’s At the Lake Simcoe was inspired by a family camping trip at the beginning of a Canadian summer. The work expresses the artist's interest in figurative studies. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Darryl Thorogood, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Bon Echo
Click to see a larger image


This early work by artist Darryl Thorogood is of Ontario’s Bon Echo, a park that has been a popular destination for painters and photographers.  Bon Echo is especially renowned for Mazinaw Rock, a 1.5 kilometre long sheer rock face, which rises 100 metres over the surface of Mazinaw Lake, and is distinguished by over 260 native pictographs. This work was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

Arlene Turkington, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Waterloo County
Click to see a larger image


Arlene Turkington's interests range from digital photography to sculpture and drawing. These two photographs were taken on the Grand River in Waterloo County in 2002. They were among thirty-nine works donated by OSA members in 2007.

[Return to top of page]      

Sally Wildman, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Royal Swine #2
Click to see a larger image


Royal Swine #2 was created as a result of a visit to the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto.  Sally Wildman was fascinated by a room of 15-20 pigs, roaming around much like at a circus, and was compelled to paint a series focussed on the animals. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Alan Dent and Sarah Wilson

Thumbnail of painting Afternoon Sunlight (Credit River)
Click to see a larger image


In 2003 and 2004, artist Alan Dent Wilson and his wife Sarah donated a total of 85 of his works to the Government of Ontario Art Collection.  These works span more than 60 years and document the artist’s travels throughout the province as well as to the southern U.S.A. and Mexico.

[Return to top of page]

Robert Amirault, O.S.A.

A self-taught artist originally from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Bob Amirault is fascinated by the effects of light on his chosen subjects, and enjoys the challenge of painting en plein air. The Red Cabin began as a small oil study of a quiet cottage down a country road in the Haliburton area of Ontario. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Robert Amirault, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting The Red Cabin

Click to see a larger image


A self-taught artist originally from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Bob Amirault is fascinated by the effects of light on his chosen subjects, and enjoys the challenge of painting en plein air. The Red Cabin began as a small oil study of a quiet cottage down a country road in the Haliburton area of Ontario. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

Amoss Estate

Thumbnail of painting Dance of the Birches
Click to see a larger image


 

Donated by the Amoss Estate to The Sir James Whitney School, Belleville in 1948.

 

Debra Archibald, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Bloor Viaduct with Lamp Light
Click to see a larger image


 

Debra Archibald is a talented artist and successful entrepreneur.  Bloor Viaduct with Lamp Light is a study for a series of works on the Bloor Viaduct, a well-known Toronto landmark; and demonstrates the artist`s interest in the enduring quality of architectural structures on the urban landscape through the passage of time. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

 

Armenian Community Centre, Toronto

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Gift to the Hon. Thomas Wells, Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, c. 1980

 

Armen-Ontario Armenian General Benevolent Union Inc.

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Presented to the Hon. David Peterson, Premier of Ontario, by the Armen-Ontario Armenian General Benevolent Union Inc., on the occasion of the Proclamation of Armenian Memorial Day, April 24, 1986

 

Atkinson Estate

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Donated by the Atkinson estate to the Sir James Whitney School, Belleville in 1948.

 

Taft Aziz

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Eight artworks by Philip Aziz, a well known Canadian master artist, were generously donated by Taft Aziz through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1987.

[Return to top of page]      

 

Archibald George Barnes

Thumbnail of painting Ontario Sportsman
Click to see a larger image


Artist Archibald George Barnes (1887-1972) generously donated one of his paintings, Ontario Sportsman, through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

 

Janet Basmadjian

Thumbnail of painting The Pigeon Project
Click to see a larger image


 

A resident of Toronto and a graduate of the Ontario College of Art, Janet Basmadjian works mainly in watercolours, graphite and pastels. The Pigeon Project is one work from a series dealing with issues of urban life and alienation.

 

 

Anthony Batten

Thumbnail of painting Morning Rush Hour
Click to see a larger image


 

Tony Batten’s work is often based on architectural forms with emphasis on the strong interplay of light and shade.  Renowned for his accomplished use of the watercolour medium, he has captured the morning rush hour outside Odd Fellows Hall, an often overlooked Toronto landmark at Yonge and College streets.

 

Evelyn Bayefsky

Thumbnail of painting Untitled [Kensington Market]
Click to see a larger image


 

Evelyn Bayefsky donated six of her late husband Aba Bayefsky`s (1923-2001) works in 2004.  Five of these paintings reflect the artist`s life-long fascination with Toronto's Kensington Market. The sixth relates to his interest in Indian legends and compliments his large scale mural which was installed, in 1968, in the Ontario Government's office complex, the Macdonald Block at Bay and Wellesley Streets..

 

Leon Belsky, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting City Portraits
Click to see a larger image


 

Leon Belsky is well known for his traditional still lifes, but his style has become much more contemporary since his move from Russia to Canada.  Belsky started his “City Portraits” series in the mid 1990s with a goal to find new and contemporary approaches to depicting the city of Toronto. He donated a work in both 2005 and 2007 as part of a larger donation made by OSA members.

 

Mr. & Mrs. Stewart G. Bennett

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Mr. & Mrs. Stewart G. Bennett generously donated an antique French clock in 1983 through the Ontario Heritage Foundation.

 

Cicely Mary Blackstock

Thumbnail of painting Oinatchouan Falls
Click to see a larger image


 

Miss Cicely M. Blackstock generously donated Oinatchouan Falls by Lucius O’Brien, who is well known for his Ontario and Quebec landcapes, through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1985.

 

Lillian Michiko Blakey, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Morning Prayer
2004
Click to see a larger image


 

Lillian Michiko Blakey’s passion for art began when she was a teenager.  Morning Prayer is a comment on how the modern world has seemingly replaced spiritual rituals with mundane ones, and compares the morning commute with the morning prayer.  On O.S.A. Lake is a tribute to the members of the OSA who sought to preserve Ontario forest lands and created Killarney Provincial Park in 1964. The artist gifted these works in 2005 and 2007 as part of larger donations made by O.S.A. members.

 

Chief Darryl Boissoneau

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Donated to Roberta Bondar Place, Sault Ste. Marie in 1992.

 

Mrs. Auguste A. Bolt

Thumbnail of painting Sir Adam Beck, 1926 [Chair, Hydro Electric Commission of Ontario
1906-1925]
Click to see a larger image


 

Mrs. Auguste A. Bolte generously donated this portrait of Sir Adam Beck in 1993 through the Ontario Heritage Foundation.

 

Wendy Boyd, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Winter Meditation
Click to see a larger image


 

Wendy Boyd’s focus is drawing, almost exclusively in pastels. Winter Meditation was completed during a weekly life drawing class at Toronto's Arts and Letters Club. Arriving dressed for the weather, the model presented such an interesting subject that the class drew him fully clothed! This work was one of eighteen donated by O.S.A. members in 2005.

 

Carmel Brennan, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Renewal - The Rite of Spring
Click to see a larger image



 

Sunderland, Ontario based artist, Carmel Brennan, has been taking photographs for almost 40 years. She donated two of her photographs in 2007 as part of a larger donation made by members of the Ontario Society of Artists.

 

 

James W. Brennan

Thumbnail of painting Afternoon Light
Click to see a larger image


 

Mr. James W. Brennan generously donated two paintings by Ontario artist and teacher, George Agnew Reid, through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1987.

 

Mrs. George Brown

Thumbnail of painting Hon. George Brown [Leader, Coalition Government of 1864-65]
Click to see a larger image


 

This portrait of the Hon. George Brown was donated to the Ontario government by his widow in 1889. Painted by John Colin Forbes (1846-1925), Brown was leader of the Coalitian Government 1864-67, one of the Fathers of Confederation in 1867, and founder of the Toronto Globe in 1844.

 

 

Marilyn Burnett

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

John Yudelman is best known for the large conceptual works about the corporate world he completed in the 1980s. Marilyn Burnett generously donated Yudelman’s painting Inside His Office in 2008.

 

W. D. Burns

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Presented by D.W Burns to the Hamilton Teachers college

[Return to top of page]      

 

Gil Caldwell, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Winter Fun
Click to see a larger image


 

Gil Caldwell’s paintings represent a compilation of things he sees in everyday life.  Winter Fun is a continuation of his interest in depicting the Ontario landscape, specifically his fascination with the old houses of Toronto. This work was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

 

Mr. E. Lee Cameron

Thumbnail of painting William Henry Lee [Clerk, Exec Council; Clerk, Queen`s Privy Council 1853-72]
Click to see a larger image


 

Mr. E. Lee Cameron generously donated a portrait of his great-grandfather William Henry Lee, painted by John Colin Forbes.  William Lee was the first Clerk of the Privy Council in 1867.

 

D. Campbell

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Avid collector David Campbell generously donated six pieces of furniture and a pair of silver candelabras, made c. 1900 by the Gorham Co. for Birks & Co., through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1989 and 1990.

 

Canadian Pacific Railway

Thumbnail of painting A Glengarry Settler
Click to see a larger image


 

This Cyrus C. Cuneo painting of a Scottish settler ploughing his field was presented to Dr. Alexander Fraser, the first Archivist of Ontario, by Mr. Edward Beatty, the fourth president of the Canadian Pacific Railway, in the late 1920s. The presentation took place at Banff, Alberta during the annual Highland Gathering sponsored by the railway from 1927-1930.

 

John B. Carrel

Thumbnail of painting Evolution of Indian Female
Click to see a larger image


 

John B. Carrel, Q.C. generously donated three paintings by Norval Morrisseau in 1985 through the Ontario Heritage Foundation.

 

Marjorie L. Child

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Artist Marjorie L. Child generously donated her oil painting titled Companions, an image of a man playing his guitar along the water’s edge, through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

 

Rita Choy-Ng, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Don River at Night #2
Click to see a larger image


 

Rita Choy-Ng’s painting is of the Don River which the artist can see very clearly from her home.  She strives to portray natural strength and simplicity in this piece through the use of a limited colour scheme of basic black and white. This work was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

 

Susan Clark, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Snowscene
Click to see a larger image


 

Although Susan Clark paints in a realistic style, there is a surreal quality to her work as portrayed in Snowscene, an unexpectedly deserted view of suburban Toronto. This work was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

 

 

Michael and Menka Close

Thumbnail of painting (untitled) Faces Series 1
Click to see a larger image


 

The twelve works in this donation, made in 2004, reveal artist Michael Close’s interest in design and pattern.  Based on a decorative approach to the subject of the face, calligraphic lines of bright colour and blocks of paint have been used to create a bold and individualistic series of paintings.

 

Peter W. F. Cochrane

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

This mezzotint of the House of Lords in 1863 was donated through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1983 by Peter W. F. Cochrane. His ancestor, Lord Cochrane, 10th Earl of Dundonald, takes a prominent position in the left foreground of the print.

 

Ruth E. Cond (and Judy Taylor)

Thumbnail of painting Portrait of Jonas Jones
Frederick W. Lock
Click to see a larger image


 

Jonas Jones (1791-1848) was a lawyer, politician and judge in Upper Canada.  His portrait, painted by Frederick W. Lock in 1858, had been passed down through many generations and was generously donated by his descendants in 2006. 

 

Nancy Converse, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Our Cathedral
Click to see a larger image


 

Nancy Converse is a colourist painter, inspired by the beauty of nature in all its forms.  In Our Cathedral, Converse has captured the Scarborough Bluffs from an unusual top-down vantage point above Lake Ontario. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

 

Mary Conway

Thumbnail of painting Mary Alice Flesher Sproule
Click to see a larger image


 

Mary Conway generously donated a portrait of Mary Alice Flesher Sproule by John Colin Forbes in 1985 through the Ontario Heritage Foundation.

 

Mrs. John Counsel

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Mrs. John Counsel generously donated a Chinese porcelain bowl hrough the Ontario Heritage Foundation, in 1984, for the Lieutenant Governor’s Suite at Queen's Park.

 

Krystyna Cseh-Woodland, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Inspired by Muskoka, Imaginary Landscape #1826
Click to see a larger image


 

Polish born teacher and artist Krystyna Cseh-Woodland emigrated to Canada in 1993. In Toronto she studied drawing, painting and sculpture at Central Technical School and then attended the Ontario College of Art and Design, graduating in 2006 with a B.A. in fine art. She donated this painting in 2007 as one of a gift of thirty-nine works made by members of the Ontario Society of Artists.

[Return to top of page]      

 

Kathryn Daly

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Kathryn Daly donated this painting to Sir James Whitney School, Belleville, in 1978.

 

Professor and Mrs. Robertson Davies

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Professor Robertson Davies and his wife Brenda generously donated four antique furnishings in 1982, including a c. 1700 Louis XIV period French Canadian chair, and a laquered chinoiserie cabinet.

 

Laura Van Vechten Davis

Thumbnail of painting Elizabeth
Click to see a larger image


 

Artist Laura Van Vechten Davis generously donated a portrait titled Elizabeth through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

 

Nancy De Boni, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Ancient Elements
Click to see a larger image



 

Nancy De Boni is interested in the decomposition processes of man-made objects, especially capturing changes in colour.  Ancient Elements is based on a neglected property located across the street from De Boni’s residence, and records the progression of the front porch as it has decayed and collapsed. This work was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

 

Lois Dierlam, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Killarney Provincial Park, A.Y. Jackson Lake
Click to see a larger image


 

Lois Dierlam, a Toronto born artist, feels that her paintings are “visual impressions of the excitement that [she] feel[s] for the subject.”  Her focus and purpose in her art is to share her joy in observing the moment, and put her viewers in touch with these joyful emotions. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

 

Malvern Dollack

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Artist Malvern Dollack generously donated a painting through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963. The work depicts a bridge in Toronto’s Dentonia Park, once a summer home of the Massey family, and near the now busy intersection of Danforth and Main streets.

 

Langley Thomas Donges

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Artist Langley Thomas Donges (1901-1992) generously donated his painting through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963. Early Snow, Erindale, depicts a milling community, established in the 1820s, which is now part of the city of Mississauga.

 

Patricia Dumas-Hudecki, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Iron Tapestry
Click to see a larger image


 

Hamilton, Ontario born Patricia Dumas-Hudecki graduated from the Ontario College of Art in 1972. While raising her family of four, she juggled a freelance career in graphic design and illustration while pursuing her own artistic practice.

Iron Tapestry was donated in 2007 as part of a larger donation of 39 works made by members of the Ontario Society of Artists. It reflects her interest in taking somewhat mundane, everyday objects and turning them into striking and individualistic works of art.

 

Eitan Dvir

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Eitan Dvir, a talented artist in Israel and Canada, generously donated his portrait of former Ontario Premier William G. Davis in 1984.

[Return to top of page]      

 

Douglas Ferguson Elliot

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Artist Douglas F. Elliott generously donated his painting of Bronte, a small fishing village between Oakville and Burlington, through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

 

Jean Eng, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting X's and O's
Click to see a larger image


 

Jean Eng’s X's and O's is from her series "Grey Scales" which consists of acrylic paintings done primarily in varying shades of grey, interrupted by key areas of isolated colour.  The piece is loosely based on evolution with transformations, mutations and processes that explore and ultimately mirror our link to nature. This work was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

 

Essex County Law Association

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

The Essex County Law Association generously donated a bronze bust of Judge Bruce J.S. Macdonald, the last judge to hear court cases in Windsor’s Mackenzie Hall, a historic building now used for business functions and arts presentations.

[Return to top of page]      

 

Pat Fairhead, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Seven Sisters #1
Click to see a larger image


 

Born in Yorkshire, England, artist and teacher Pat Fairhead imigrated to Canada with her family when she was 10 years old. She has studied art at the Ontario College of Art and been a member of the Ontario Society of Artists since 1986.

This painting reflects her love of the outdoors and in particular the scenery in the Muskoka region north of Toronto. It was one of thirty-nine works donated by members of the O.S.A. in 2007.

 

Feorge Sarras Fanais

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Artist George Sarras Fanais generously donated a portrait titled Ontario Hunter through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

 

Frances Ferdinands

Thumbnail of painting Economic Rationality
Click to see a larger image


 

Like much of her work, Frances Ferdinands’ Economic Rationality is part of a series, and reflects the changes taking place in the artist’s downtown Toronto residential neighbourhood.

 

Judy Finch, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Early Morning at Knothole
Click to see a larger image


 

Also known for her portraits, Judy Finch has studied and painted using a variety of media and techniques.  Early Morning at Knothole was painted on an annual trip to fellow artist Doris McCarthy’s cottage on Georgian Bay. This painting was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

 

A. G. Fleming

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Artist A.G. Fleming generously donated his painting Toronto from the Island through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

 

Jean Mary Edgell Forbes

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Artist Jean Mary Edgell Forbes, wife of artist Kenneth Forbes and mother of artist June Forbes McCormack, generously donated a watercolour painting of Willowdale in Toronto through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

 

Kenneth Keith Forbes

Thumbnail of painting Hon. Leslie Miscampbell Frost, PC, CC, QC, LL.D., DCL [Premier of Ontario, 1949-61]
Click to see a larger image


 

Portrait artist Kenneth K. Forbes (1892-1980) completed many important commissions throughout his career including those for several lieutenant governors and premiers of Ontario. He generously donated this portrait through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963. 

 

Cleworth W. Foster

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Mr. Cleworth W. Foster, an avid art collector, generously donated a pastel portrait of Ellen Louks Fairclough, the first female member of the Canadian Cabinet, drawn by artist Nickola de Grandmaison.

[Return to top of page]      

 

Family of Audrey Garwood

Thumbnail of painting Autumn Highlands [Haliburton]
Click to see a larger image


 

Artist Audrey Garwood (1927-2004) was an accomplished painter and printmaker with a calligraphic style and bold use of colour.  Her family members generously donated seven of her paintings in 2006. 

 

Valerie Jane Geard, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Disappearing Landscape
Click to see a larger image


 

Valerie Jane Geard captures the past and present in Disappearing Landscape.  As a printmaker and collage artist, Geard reflects a sensitivity towards the paper used in her work, and is inspired by her fondness for nature and its range of pattern variations caused by light. This lithograph was one of thirty-nine works donated by O.S.A. members in 2007.

 

Kristy Gordon, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Harmony
Click to see a larger image


 

Although originally trained in animation, Kristy Gordon decided to become a full-time professional painter in 2003. Utilizing her love of nature and the outdoors, she created paintings that are distinctive in their colouration and keenly observered detail.

Harmony depicts the greenbelt area around Ottawa and was painted on the Stoney Swamp Path in Nepean. It was one of thirty-nine works donated by members of the Ontario Society of Artists in 2007.

 

Norma Green

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Artist Norma Green generously donated her landscape painting of the Haliburton area of Ontario through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

 

Philip Green

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Artist Philip Green generously donated his landscape painting of the Haliburton area of Ontario through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

 

Mrs. Roy Greenaway

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Roy Greenaway (1891-1972), former Toronto reporter and member of the press gallery at Queen's Park also painted many landscapes throughout Canada, the United States and Europe, and was a founding member of the Ontario Institute of Painters in the 1950s.  His wife generously donated seventeen of his paintings in 1975.

 

Roy Greenaway

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Roy Greenaway (1891-1972), former Toronto reporter and member of the press gallery at Queen's Park also painted many landscapes throughout Canada, the United States and Europe, and was a founding member of the Ontario Institute of Painters in the 1950s. He generously donated three of his own paintings in 1963..

 

Christopher Griffin, O.S.A.

Christopher Griffin is known for his large scale paintings which are inspired by prehistoric and children’s art.  His style allows for accidental and spontaneous effects, illustrating a different view of famous Ontario landmarks such as the Rideau Canal. This painting was one of thirty-nine works donated by O.S.A. members in 2007.

[Return to top of page]      

 

Frederick Stanley Haines

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Artist Frederick Stanley Haines (1879-1960), was a former curator of The Art Gallery of Toronto. This painting was generously donated by the artist through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

 

Hamilton Teachers College

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

 

 

Mary Jane Hanna

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Mary Jane Hanna generously donated this untitled floral still life, by K.M. Hart, through her estate in 1945.

 

Sister Anitra Hansen

Thumbnail of painting Bear
Click to see a larger image


 

Thor Hansen (1903-1974) was best known for textile design, but his work also included ceramics, wood and linoleum carvings, and paintings.  His daughter, Sister Anitra Hansen, generously donated seven of her father’s works in 2006, including five ceramic tiles painted with aboriginal animal motifs.

 

Diana Harding Tucker, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Father and Son
Click to see a larger image


 

Diana Harding Tucker uses coloured pencils, watercolours, oils or chalk pastels on her black and white photography. Father and Son depicts two Mennonite farmers in typical dress, working on their land. This work was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

 

Janet Hendershot, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Purple Evening
Click to see a larger image


 

Janet Hendershot uses a highly charged palette to express the “super-sense” experiences she feels towards her subjects.  Her focus is mainly painting, specifically abstract and uniquely styled landscapes. She donated a work in both 2005 and 2007 as part of a larger donation made by OSA members.

 

Henry N. R. Jackman Foundation

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Henry (Hal) N. R. Jackman was the 25th Lieutenant Governor of Ontario from 1991 to 1997, and his foundation has been supporting the arts of Toronto since 1990.  In 1995 the Hal Jackman Foundation generously donated two antique arm chairs through the Ontario Heritage Foundation.

 

George William Henry

Thumbnail of painting Hon. George Stewart Henry, BA, LL D [Premier of Ontario 1930-34]
Click to see a larger image


 

George William Henry, son of former Premier of Ontario George Stewart Henry, generously donated a portrait of his father by Archibald G. Barnes through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1985.

 

Mr. & Mrs. T. Patrick Henry

Thumbnail of painting Anna Ketha Pickett Henry [Mrs. George S. Henry]
Click to see a larger image


 

Mr. and Mrs. T. Patrick Henry generously donated two portraits of former Premier of Ontario George Stewart Henry and his wife Anna Pickett Henry, through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1985.

 

Historical Branch of Dept of Public Records and  Archives

Thumbnail of painting Verschoyle Blake
Click to see a larger image


 

This portrait was commissioned by the Historical Branch of the Department of Public Records and  Archives in 1971 and donated to the collection in 1989. Verschoyle Blake (1899-1971) for many years worked in the Conservation Branch of the former Department of Planning and Development, where he did historical research and wrote most of the department's conservation reports. He was also a founding member of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario, and was on advisory committees for both Upper Canada Village and Black Creek Pioneer Village.

 

Mr. G. W. P. Hodgins

Thumbnail of painting Frances Rachel Doyle [Mrs. John George Hodgins]
Click to see a larger image


 

In 1944 Mr. G. W. P. Hodgins generously donated two portraits of his grandparents, John George Hodgins and Frances R. Doyle, painted by artist Theophile Hamel in 1851. John George Hodgins was the Deputy Minister of Education in Ontario from 1876 to 1889.

 

Elizabeth Bradford Holbrook

Thumbnail of sculpture Hon. Ellen Louks Fairclough, PC, OC, FCA, LL D, UE [Secty of State, Min Cit & Immig, Postmaster Gen. 1958-63]
Click to see a larger image


 

Elizabeth Holbrook (1913-2009) was a talented portrait sculptor.  In 1982 she generously donated a bust of Ellen Fairclough through the Ontario Heritage Foundation. Ellen Fairclough was Canada's first female Cabinet minister.

 

Hospital For Sick Children, Board of Trustees

Thumbnail of sculpture The Endless Bench 1984 [Sesquicentennial Edition]
Click to see a larger image


 

On the occasion of Ontario’s Bicentennial, the Board of Trustees and Staff of the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, presented the province with this sculpture by Lea Vivot, a replica of her larger version which is installed outside the hospital.

 

House of Seagram

Thumbnail of painting London Ontario
Click to see a larger image


 

Gift of the House of Seagram for Ontario House, London, England, c.1977.

[Return to top of page]      

 

Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire

Thumbnail of painting Not Unto Death, But Life Everlasting
Click to see a larger image


 

The IODE (Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire) is a women’s charitable organization which focuses on community affairs in over 400 branches across the country.  The John G. Howard chapter in Toronto generously donated this large oil on canvas by Arthur M. Hazard in 1921.

 

 

Samwillie Iqaluq

Thumbnail of sculpture Loon
Click to see a larger image


 

Donated by the artist to Ontario's Minister of Labour in 1991.

[Return to top of page]      

 

Evan Weekes MacDonald

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Guelph artist Evan Weekes MacDonald (1905-1972) generously donated his painting of the Frood-Stobie nickel mine in Sudbury, Ontario through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

 

Manly Edward MacDonald

Thumbnail of painting Newburgh on the Napanee River, Ontario
Click to see a larger image


 

In 1963 Manly E. MacDonald (1889-1971), landscape and portrait artist of the early-mid 20th century, generously donated an oil landscape through the Ontario Institute of Painters, of which he was also a founding member.

 

James MacDougall, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Autumn, Caledon, Ontario
Click to see a larger image


 

Autumn, Caledon, Ontario was painted on site by the artist in order to capture his immediate experience of nature. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

 

Agnes MacGillivray

Thumbnail of painting Lake Scene with Rock Formation
Click to see a larger image


 

Agnes MacGillivray generously donated two watercolour landscapes by artists S.R.G. Penson and Thomas Harrison Wilkinson in 1977 through the Ontario Heritage Foundation.

 

Allan Harding Mackay

Thumbnail of painting Highwy 401 [From Ontario Highways in the Rain series]
Click to see a larger image


 

Alan Harding Mackay is best known for his expeditions as a war artist to Somalia and Afghanistan, as well as his commissioned Veterans’ Memorial at Queen’s Park in Toronto.  He generously donated a mixed media artwork depicting a rainy Highway 401 in 2007.

 

Sharon MacKinnon, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting The Bay Rocks
Click to see a larger image


 

In The Bay Rocks, Sharon MacKinnon has captured the essence of granite in the Mink and McCoy island area of Georgian Bay.  Through her encaustic medium, she has tried to reproduce the image of the striation lines in the rock, exposed by glacier erosion. This painting was one of thirty-nine works donated by O.S.A. members in 2007. 

 

Thomas Mathews

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Brampton artist Thomas Mathews generously donated one of his landscape paintings of a maple tree through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

 

Friends of Mathison

Thumbnail of painting Robert Mathison, MA [Superintendant and Principal, Ontario School for Deaf, 1879-1906]
Click to see a larger image


 

Donated to the Sir James Whitney School, Belleville, in 1924.

 

Edward McCormack

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Artist Edward McCormack donated this landscape of the Credit River in southern Ontario through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

 

Frances Theodora McHenry

Thumbnail of painting Untitled [early landscape
Click to see a larger image


 

Frances Theodora McHenry was a former principal of the Ontario College of Art.  Upon her death in 1984, she left this George Agnew Reid painting to the Ontario Heritage Foundation, from which it was then donated to the Government of Ontario Art Collection.

 

John Wilson (Jack) McLaren

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

In 1981, artist John (Jack) Wilson McLaren (1896-1988) generously donated his painting Haliburton, Ontario which depicts a country road in autumn.

 

Donald Ivan McLeod

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Artist Donald Ivan McLeod (1886-1967) generously donated one of his paintings, a beautiful wooded landscape, through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

 

J. R. McMurrich

Thumbnail of painting Hon. John McMurrich [MLC Canada; first MPP York North; 1862-1871]
Click to see a larger image


 

J.R. McMurrich generously donated this portrait by John Colin Forbes of his great-grandfather John McMurrich (1804-1883), the first MPP of York North, through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1977.

 

John S. Millar

Thumbnail of painting Hon. Lincoln M. Alexander, PC, CC, KStJ, O Ont, QC, BA, LL B, LL D DSLitt [Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, 1985-91]
Click to see a larger image


 

John S. Millar, Q.C. generously donated a bronze bust of Lincoln M. Alexander, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario from 1985 to 1991, through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1991.

 

Michael Mills, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Containing Water
Click to see a larger image


 

Michael Mills’ work explores issues relating primarily to the human body.  Prior to its donation to the collection, Containing Water was on display in the Lieutenant Governor’s Suite at Queen’s Park as part of an exhibition by OSA members. This painting was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

 

E. Mirvish

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

In 1984, Mr. Ed Mirvish, well known for his involvement in Toronto theatre, generously donated a Royal Coat of Arms for display in the Lieutenant Governor’s Suite.

 

Emilie Mond of Mond International Nickel Co.

Thumbnail of scultpure Nef
Click to see a larger image


 

This piece was commissioned to celebrate the Mond company’s Silver Jubilee in1925. It was donated to the Ontario Department of Mines in 1927.

 

J. H. Moore

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

In 1985 J. H. Moore generously donated a French Canadian armchair through the Ontario Heritage Foundation.

 

Edmund Montague Morris

Thumbnail of painting Indians Descending the Pic River
Click to see a larger image


 

Two paintings were generously bequethed by Artist Edmund Montague Morris (1871-1913) upon his death. Morris was known for his pastel portraits of native leaders, but he was also a skilled landscape painter.

 

Stanley Gordon Moyer

Thumbnail of painting  Jack Miner [Jack Miner Bird Foundation, Kingsville, Ontario, 1932]
Click to see a larger image


 

Artist Stanley Gordon Moyer (1887-1968) generously donated his portrait of Jack Miner through the Ontario Institute of painters in 1963. Miner was an avid conservationist and in 1904 created the world famous bird sanctuary for migrating geese and ducks at Kingsville, Ontario.

[Return to top of page]      

 

Edward Nagy, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Shores of Southampton
Click to see a larger image


 

Edward A. Nagy captures one of Central Ontario’s unexpected landscapes and hidden sanctuaries in Shores of Southampton.  The area of Chantry Island and the former pier of Southampton is a picturesque, almost tropical setting where wind and water currents are slowed and sand dunes appear. This painting was one of thirty-nine works donated by O.S.A. members in 2007. 

 

Jean D. Newman-Urquhart

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Artist Jean D. Newman-Urquhart generously donated her landscape painting of the Actinolite area in Eastern Ontario through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

 

Muriel Elizabeth Newton-White

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Artist Muriel Elizabeth Newton-White is an accomplished landscape painter from Northern Ontario.  She generously donated an oil painting of Lake Timiskaming through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

 

Audra Noble, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Chances I Thumbnail of painting Chances I Thumbnail of painting Chances I
Audra Noble’s subject in the triptych piece Chances I is a wild water-iris found at Stoney Lake in Ontario.  In her photograph Twilight the subject is herself, but it is not a self-portrait.  All of Noble’s artwork expresses the intense passions she experiences in life and are each very meaningful. These photographs were two of thirty-nine works donated by OSA members in 2007. 

 

Victor North

Thumbnail of painting Three Cats on Dog Lake
Click to see a larger image


 

Young artist Victor North is inspired by comic books and contemporary art.  His painting Three Cats on Dog Lake is a modern take on an old story surrounding Dog Lake near Kingston, Ontario.

 

Tibor Nyilasi

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Artist Tibor Nyilasi is known for his unique mosaics, watercolours and drawings.  His mural The Melody is in seven panels and includes motifs of music, theatre, sculpture, agriculture and ancient art.

[Return to top of page]      

 

Old George Street School

Thumbnail of painting Richard Lewis [Principal of the Old George Street School, 1856-76]
Click to see a larger image


 

Pupils of the Old George Street School between the years of 1856 and 1875 generously donated a portrait of Richard Lewis, the school’s Principal during those years.

 

Ontario Chamber of Commerce

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

The Ontario Chamber of Commerce donated two items for the Lieutenant Governor’s Suite at Queen's Park, including an antique silver candle snuffer, in 1984 through the Ontario Heritage Foundation.

 

Ontario Wood Carvers Association

Thumbnail of carving Carver's Quilt
Click to see a larger image


 

The Ontario Wood Carvers Association (OWCA), founded in 1979, supports wood carving as a hobby and a profession across Ontario and Canada.  The OWCA donated an Ontario Coat of Arms in 1984, and a montage piece in 1992 titled Carvers’ Quilt which is on display in the Legislature at Queen’s Park.

 

Rachel Ovadia

Rachel Ovadia image
Click to see a larger image


 

Based in North York, Ontario, abstract and conceptual artist Rachel Ovadia has donated eleven works to the collection.

[Return to top of page]      

 

Frank Shirley Panabaker

Thumbnail of painting Georgian Bay
Click to see a larger image


 

Frank S. Panabaker, a successful Ontario artist whose work was once bought by the mother of Franklin D. Roosevelt for display in the White House, generously donated a painting of Georgian Bay through the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1963.

 

Mary Pavey, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Roadside Rocks
Click to see a larger image


 

Mary Pavey is known for her still lifes and is now exploring landscape painting.  Roadside Rocks was painted as a result of a camping trip to Algonquin Park where exposed blue-grey rocks were highlighted by brightly coloured flora. This work was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

 

Sonia Tarantour Pearl, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Fossil - Purple
Click to see a larger image


 

Sonia Tarantour Pearl’s interpretation of landscape focuses on experimentation, process, and transition.  Her painting Fossil – Purple depicts a scene from Blakeny’s Rapids between Almonte and Pakenham in Ontario. This work was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

 

Margaret Peter, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Mystical Images
Click to see a larger image


 

Guelph artist Margaret Peter’s inspiration comes from many natural objects such as feathers, shells and fossils.  Mystical Images is a collection of pictographs from Peterborough Provincial Park placed in a spiral design, representing nature’s spiral of life, and inspired by the stories of Native Canadians. This work was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

 

Dr. John Peterson

Thumbnail of painting Arrival of La Salle at the Mouth of the Humber River 1681
Click to see a larger image


 

Dr. John Peterson generously donated eight paintings by Ontario artist and teacher George Agnew Reid, through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1983.

 

Giuseppe Pivetta, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting en plein air
Click to see a larger image


 

Giuseppe Pivetta’s work mainly consists of scenes of Toronto and its environs, and is painted en plein air.  He captures the constantly evolving essence of the city, especially its growing urban communities. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

 

Germinio Pio Politi, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Untitled
Click to see a larger image


 

Germinio Pio Politi’s style is influenced by Italy’s Arte Povera movement which encourages the use of everyday materials.  His range of work includes landscape, abstract and figure pieces in many different media. This work was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

 

Dr. and Mrs. Edward Pomer

Thumbnail of painting Crimson Cavern
Click to see a larger image


 

Dr. and Mrs. Edward Pomer generously donated a painting by James W, MacDonald, a modernist artist, through the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1983.

 

Helena Pravda, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Working Together
Click to see a larger image


 

Helena Pravda’s work is inspired by her knowledge of psychology, and she strives to represent the experiences and feelings of an individual at a unique moment in their life.  Working Together captures the moment when three generations of men (a grandfather, father and son) come together after years of disconnection. This work was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

 

Premier's Office

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

These two works were presented to the Premier of Ontario during his trade mission to India and Pakistan in January of 2007, and subsequently donated to the collection by the Premier’s office.

 

Captain Zdzislaw Przygoda, D.Sc., P. Eng.

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

Dr. Zdzislaw Przygoda(1913-1996) established his own engineering consulting firm in Toronto in 1954.  He generously donated over 500 items to the Archives in 1983, including architectural drawings, photographs, files and this portrait of Sir Casimir Stanislaus Gzowski, former Administrator of the Province of Ontario from 1896-1897.

 

Ina Puchala, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Surrogate Sisterhood (Black Dog Series)
Click to see a larger image


 

Ina Puchala studied drawing and painting at the Ontario College of Art. She creates abstract works by layering and scraping the paint over the surface of the mylar or wood panel to build tension and a personal narrative. Surrogate Sisterhood is one of the paintings from the artist's Black Dog series completed in 2006. It was one of thirty-nine works donated by O.S.A. members in 2007.

[Return to top of page]      

 

C. Bev Rodin, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Forest Light Series: Autumn Rustling Leaves
Click to see a larger image


 

Watercolour and acrylic painter Bev Rodin’s work reflects her personal interests and experiences.  Through her paintings Rodin hopes to communicate many meanings; in her “Forest Light” series patience, majesty, and growth are represented. She donated works in both 2005 and 2007 as part of larger donations made by O.S.A. members.

[Return to top of page]      

 

John Schweitzer, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of collage The Author in the Arcade
Click to see a larger image


 

John A. Schweitzer is known for his unique collages. The Author in the Arcade is one of 35 in Schweitzer’s “Benjamin’s Alphabet” series, which was inspired by the writing of German philosopher Walter Benjamin. This work was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

 

Gerald Leslie Sevier, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Teasdale Farm
Click to see a larger image


 

Light and shadow are most interesting to Gerry Sevier when he paints landscapes, seascapes, architecture, and still lifes, in which rural Ontario is a major theme.  In Teasdale Farm Sevier wanted to convey peaceful and nostalgic feelings created by majestic trees and a beautiful summer sky. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

 

Mary Seymour, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Late Summer Garden
Click to see a larger image


 

Normally a figurative painter, Mary Seymour went en plein air and turned her attention to a section of her rural garden.  Seymour painted the scene as she saw it, including seed pods of the Rudbeckia flowers without petals, falling pine needles, and leaves that had been eaten by insects or touched by the colour change of fall. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

 

Bruce Smith

Thumbnail of painting 50 Scollard Street [Toronto]
Click to see a larger image


 

Bruce Smith was a generous donor to the Government of Ontario Art Collection and we sadly acknowledge his death in December of 2005.  In 2002 and 2005 Smith donated a total of twelve of his own paintings and one of Albert Chiarandini’s, of whom he was once a pupil.

 

Andrew Cheddie Sookrah, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting The Road to Keane
Click to see a larger image


 

The Road to Keane was painted at the picturesque Rice Lake which Andrew Cheddie Sookrah visited with some fellow members of the Arts and Letters Club of Toronto. To past inhabitants, Rice Lake had a very special spiritual meaning, and Sookrah felt “touched by the spirits still there” as he was guided in creating this painting. This work was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

 

Jane Stanley

Graphic indicating that a thumbnail is not availble to illustrate this description

 

William St. Thomas Smith (1862-1947) was a talented watercolourist, known for his landscapes and marine scenes.  His painting The Brook was generously donated by Jane Stanley in 2008.

 

Janice Mason Steeves, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Red Gerberas: 6
Click to see a larger image


 

Artworks by Janice Mason Steeves record her search for aspects of the sacred in our existence, which are found in the recurring patterns of growth and ritual. Red Gerberas: 6 is part of a series dealing with the exploration of flowers. This work was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

 

Alan Stein, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Opening Night, Parry Sound
Click to see a larger image


 

Artist Alan Stein creates imaginative pieces like Opening Night, Parry Sound, which was drawn to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Festival of the Sound, an annual chamber music festival in Parry Sound.  His imagined landscapes, mostly images of night skies, often have spectacular features added, such as constellations, comets and the northern lights. This work was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007. 

[Return to top of page]      

 

Ernestine Tahedl, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Pond - Jeux d`eau V
Click to see a larger image


 

Artist Ernestine Tahedl is best known for her work with stained glass and painting.  Inspiration for her landscapes comes from travelling, after which, when back home in her studio, she intuitively transfers her memories to canvas. This painting was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

 

Rafael Tchetyshov, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting At the Lake Simcoe
Click to see a larger image


 

Realist painter Rafael Tchetyshov’s At the Lake Simcoe was inspired by a family camping trip at the beginning of a Canadian summer. The work expresses the artist's interest in figurative studies. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

 

Darryl Thorogood, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Bon Echo
Click to see a larger image


 

This early work by artist Darryl Thorogood is of Ontario’s Bon Echo, a park that has been a popular destination for painters and photographers.  Bon Echo is especially renowned for Mazinaw Rock, a 1.5 kilometre long sheer rock face, which rises 100 metres over the surface of Mazinaw Lake, and is distinguished by over 260 native pictographs. This work was one of eighteen donated by OSA members in 2005.

 

Arlene Turkington, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Waterloo County
Click to see a larger image


 

Arlene Turkington's interests range from digital photography to sculpture and drawing. These two photographs were taken on the Grand River in Waterloo County in 2002. They were among thirty-nine works donated by OSA members in 2007.

[Return to top of page]      

 

Sally Wildman, O.S.A.

Thumbnail of painting Royal Swine #2
Click to see a larger image


 

Royal Swine #2 was created as a result of a visit to the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto.  Sally Wildman was fascinated by a room of 15-20 pigs, roaming around much like at a circus, and was compelled to paint a series focussed on the animals. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.

 

Alan Dent and Sarah Wilson

Thumbnail of painting Afternoon Sunlight (Credit River)
Click to see a larger image


 

In 2003 and 2004, artist Alan Dent Wilson and his wife Sarah donated a total of 85 of his works to the Government of Ontario Art Collection.  These works span more than 60 years and document the artist’s travels throughout the province as well as to the southern U.S.A. and Mexico.

 

[Return to top of page]

Robert Amirault, O.S.A.

A self-taught artist originally from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Bob Amirault is fascinated by the effects of light on his chosen subjects, and enjoys the challenge of painting en plein air. The Red Cabin began as a small oil study of a quiet cottage down a country road in the Haliburton area of Ontario. This painting was one of thirty-nine donated by OSA members in 2007.